Forms and Appeals

Here you can find information about appeals and some of the most common forms.

CAS Requirements Appeal

This form is intended for students who are requesting one of the following:

  • A substitution of a UNCG course in order to fulfill a specific College of Arts and Sciences Requirement
  • A waiver of a specific College of Arts and Sciences requirement due to documented extenuating circumstances

All College of Arts and Sciences Appeals are evaluated by the College Appeal Committee. All decisions are final.

Strong Appeals will…

  • Explain in detail the steps the student has taken to meet the requirement as it is written. This should include all course work attempted towards the requirement and a listing of all student supports used in pursuit of the requirement eg. instructor support, tutoring, etc.
  • Explain in detail the circumstances beyond the student’s control that have blocked the successful completion of the requirement as written. 
  • Include documentation supporting the claims made in the appeal. For example, if the circumstances blocking successful completion involve a physical condition, the appeal could include a letter of support from a heath care provider familiar with the condition. If the circumstances are related to a learning difference, the appeal could include a letter of support from an expert familiar with the learning difference.

Appeals that are limited to:

  • dislike of the requirement;
  • concerns about impact on GPA;
  • academic difficulty in a single course;
  • or the time required to complete the requirement;

without any other extenuating circumstances will not be considered.

Submission/Decision Schedule

Appeals received by:will be decided by:
March 6March 20
April 3April 17
May 1May 15
June 5June 12

Maximum Credit Hours Increase Request

The University Registrar’s Office (URO) has created a form for advisors to complete to increase maximum credit hours for their students.  Once the form is completed, it will take around 24-48 hours to process. For assistance completing this form, please contact Ryan Ridpath.

Catalog Year Language Appeal

This form is intended for students on the 2023-2024 catalog year who discussed the language/culture requirement with their advisor and then registered for a MAC Global & Intercultural course to complete the requirement, but whose Degree Works does not show the course as meeting the requirement. Appeals are evaluated by members of the College Appeals Committee and responses may take up to 4 weeks.

The form is only for students who are requesting a course substitution to fulfill their additional language requirement. If you are trying to have the requirement waived completely, or are appealing a different CAR/LEC/CIC requirement, please use the CAS Requirements Appeal form.


What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.”

Under the FERPA Act of 1974, The University of North Carolina Greensboro (UNCG) is restricted in releasing student information without the consent of the student. In order for a parent or any third party to have access to restricted information, the student must complete a FERPA waiver for the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR). The OSRR FERPA waiver is completed on a case by case basis and is office specific. Therefore your student cannot proactively sign a waiver and waivers signed for other UNC Greensboro offices will not suffice. Without a FERPA waiver form, OSRR staff is unable to discuss any details regarding the alleged violation with any party other than the student.

Detailed information about FERPA at UNC Greensboro can be found in the University Policy Statement at

Please note: The law allows the University to release directory information and other information about students under certain circumstances. Examples include a health or safety emergency, a lawful subpoena or court order, or to authorized Federal, State, or Local employees. For more information, visit the Student Privacy website from the US Department of Education.

FERPA Waiver

When a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, all rights afforded to a parent under FERPA transfer to the student. CASA advisors are therefore prohibited from sharing specific information about a student to any third party (including parents) unless the student signs a waiver form specific to our office.  We are happy to answer general questions to all regarding rules and procedures at UNCG.

Students may consent to disclose their education records by signing a waiver. Click here to access the disclosure form.

Foreign language proficiency

Alternative Foreign Language Proficiency Waiver

If you are a student in the College of Arts and Sciences and you wish to demonstrate proficiency in a language NOT taught at UNCG, please fill out this form in order to begin the process: Foreign Language Proficiency Request Form.

You will be directed to a contact that may test your proficiency. This contact must submit a signed record of your proficiency in order to be verified by the staff here at CASA.

Standard Foreign Language Proficiency Evidence

Native speakers of languages other than English may demonstrate proficiency by:

  • HS transcript- any amount of high school in another country where the curriculum was taught in a language other than English.
  • Letter from a professor at any accredited US College or university documenting proficiency.
  • Prior Degree Seeking status at International College or University (does not include Study Abroad credits)

Foreign Language Proficiency Exam FAQs

No. The waiver only applies to your foreign language requirement, marking it as fulfilled.  You will not receive any credit hours or course credit.

It can take up to a week for your degree evaluation to be updated after we receive your document, process your waiver, and notify you by email that we have processed the waiver. If you change your major after getting the waiver, let us know, we will have to update the waiver information in order for your new major to be credited.

No. Each school within UNCG (Bryan School of Business and Economics, School of Health and Human Sciences, School of Education, School of Visual and Performing Arts, School of Nursing, and the College of Arts and Sciences) has different foreign language requirements, and may require a different procedure for showing proficiency in another language. It is the student’s responsibility to find out what these requirements and procedures are.  Please keep in mind that not all schools/majors have a foreign language requirement.

No. You must contact the school you are transferring to in order to find out what requirements they may have about foreign language courses/proficiency/etc.

Find us

Physical Address:
103 Foust Building
Greensboro, NC 27412
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402

follow us

Instagram @CASA_UNCG

Facebook @UNCGCASA

X (Twitter) @UNCG_CASA

Share This