Foreign Language Proficiency | CASA


College of Arts and Sciences Advising

Foreign Language Proficiency

Alternative Foreign Language Proficiency Waiver

If you are a student in the College of Arts and Sciences and you wish to demonstrate proficiency in a language NOT taught at UNCG, please fill out this form in order to begin the process: Foreign Language Proficiency Request Form.

You will be directed to a contact that may test your proficiency. This contact must submit a signed record of your proficiency in order to be verified by the staff here at CASA.

Standard Foreign Language Proficiency Evidence

Native speakers of languages other than English may demonstrate proficiency by:

*HS transcript- any amount of high school in another country where the curriculum was taught in a language other than English.

*Letter from a professor at any accredited US College or university documenting proficiency.

*prior Degree Seeking status at International College or University (does not include Study Abroad credits)


Foreign Language Proficiency Exam FAQs

Will I get any course credit or credit hours by passing demonstrating proficiency?

No. The waiver only applies to your foreign language requirement, marking it as fulfilled.  You will not receive any credit hours or course credit.

How long will it take the waiver to show up on my Degree Evaluation or DegreeWorks?

It can take up to a week for your degree evaluation to be updated after we receive your document, process your waiver, and notify you by email that we have processed the waiver. If you change your major after getting the waiver, let us know, we will have to update the waiver information in order for your new major to be credited.

What if I change my major to a major that is not within CASA? Will my waiver still exempt me from any foreign language requirements for my new major?

No. Each school within UNCG (Bryan School of Business and Economics, School of Health and Human Sciences, School of Education, School of Visual and Performing Arts, School of Nursing, and the College of Arts and Sciences) has different foreign language requirements, and may require a different procedure for showing proficiency in another language. It is the student’s responsibility to find out what these requirements and procedures are.  Please keep in mind that not all schools/majors have a foreign language requirement.

Does my waiver  transfer to other institutions?

No. You must contact the school you are transferring to in order to find out what requirements they may have about foreign language courses/proficiency/etc.